- In the marine world, the words “boat transmission” and “marine transmission” have been widely exchanged. Yes, the gear may look dull and boring and may not even be a subject of your discourse. Know, however, that it plays a crucial role in your boat, whether it’s a yacht or a large workboat that you own. Without it, your boat won’t be able to navigate the seas and sail as far as possible.
In this article, we’ll share with you what you need to know about marine transmission, about its importance to your vessel, and about its use and three major functions.
Marine transmission in a nutshell
In a nutshell, it is a durable device that is built into the marine system that is meant to propel your boat to move safely and efficiently. Although it may look similar to the transmission in your car, it doesn’t work the same.
A marine transmission has three main functions that are meant to move your boat to move to wherever you want. Because of this, it’s best termed as a marine gear due to its function.
How marine differs from car transmission
Mechanics usually refer to it as a marine gear because it is different from the transmission of a car. Here’s how both are different from each other:
- Slip built into the marine system: For a marine gear, there is no definite physical link between the propellers and the water, such as there is between tires and the pavement for a car transmission.
- The number of gears: Know that the vast majority of marine gears have only one set of gears, unlike in cars.
Functions of the marine transmission
Now, you may be wondering how it works. Generally, it has three major functions, as follows:
- It sets the ratio between propeller rpm and engine rpm.
- It engages or disengages the propeller as needed for neutral operation.
- It reverses the propeller’s direction.
It’s worth noting, a marine transmission does more work than you might think. If you don’t have a gear that’s durable and reliable for your boat, your time on the water would be less enjoyable and more worrisome. For your safety and sailing experience, it’s best to inspect or invest in the right gear for your boat.
At this point, you now have a good idea as to what a marine transmission is and how it works. Be sure to factor in all the valuable information discussed above and give special attention to your marine gear as well. Ultimately, keep in mind that it plays a crucial part in your boat’s safety and efficiency as you navigate through the seas.
When looking for this gear, it’s best to deal with a highly reputable manufacturer or supplier. It also helps to work with a notable installer who can set up the gear for your boat.
We provide customers in Oklahoma with a wide selection of athletic and adventure products, hunting equipment, marine gear, and many more. Browse our options today and place your order!