It’s one matter to go hiking, and it’s another to do so during extremely hot weather. You’ll probably get exasperated by the scorching heat of the sun while climbing up a mountain summit or as simple as a hill. The least you would want to happen is for you to run out of breath or get totally dehydrated. After all, hiking is supposed to give you the hype and energy to make you physically fit and healthy. More than anything else, however, you deserve the fun and adventure of this outdoor activity while appreciating the beauty of nature and exploring the world out there.
If you are planning for an outdoor sweat session during the sweltering weather, here are top hiking tips for you to consider:
When to hike
Planning is a crucial part of this adventure. Before you take the plunge into hiking, you have to know when the best time to do so. Here are a few tips for you:
- Avoid hiking during the hottest time of the day: The warmest time of day is between noon to three in the afternoon. So, if you plan to hike during the day, you might want to leave early in the morning or later in the afternoon.
- Have a night hike: If you want to avoid the sun altogether, then hiking during the night will be your best option. Keep in mind, however, that there’s a high risk of danger when going outdoors during the night.
Where to hike
Apart from knowing when to hike, you have to consider the location of hiking beforehand. Here are a few suggestions to know:
- Hike under the shades of trees: If you want to go out during the day and yet try to avoid the sun, then you should at least consider the location that has surrounding trees. This will help you evade the sun by hiding under the shades of trees.
- Hike near bodies of water: Another solution is to go hiking near the ocean or a large lake. Despite the sun, you can feel the sea or lake breeze touching your skin to give you a temporary sense of relief and comfort.
What to wear
Know that what you wear greatly impacts your hiking during hot weather. Along with proper tools and gear, there are clothes meant to be worn during warmer seasons. Here are a few recommendations:
- Opt for light colors: Wearing light colors allow the sun’s rays to reflect instead of being absorbed. Try wearing black outfits, and you will see how they attract much heat. You can instead go for white shirts, tan shorts, or khaki pants.
- Wear loose clothes: Lightweight, loose garments are breathable that will regulate your body temperature. Also, go for clothes made of nylon and polyester.
- Go for cotton: Cotton absorbs plenty of moisture and dries very slowly. They are ideal for hot and dry weather conditions.
As you can see, hiking during hot weather can be extremely challenging. However, there are ways and means to endure the summer heat and the scorching sun while enjoying this outdoor activity. All it takes is to know when and where to do so and what to wear. With all these in mind, you can still enjoy your hiking adventure amid the hot weather.
We provide a wide selection of athletic and adventure products. If you need hiking gear, tools, or equipment, browse our website today and place your order!